Sunday, March 21, 2010

Healthcare Reform....

So today was a VERY historic day for our country. The healthcare reform legislation passed. I don't claim to know enough to know whether or not I support the legislation that was passed or not. I do however know that something MUST change in our healthcare system... we cant keep up with the way it is heading and moving. Hopefully this legislation will help lead to the best solution for our country and fellow Americans.

However.... Aside from the obvious that most people have opinions, one thing I have really noticed is a strong hatred that seems to have come about from one side of the "aisle" to the other. I also immediately noticed Facebook blowing up with status updates..... everything from "The House just passed health care reform. A long time coming. Better late than never" and "Today I witness change once again. I'm not going to lie, I'm happy. Embrace change instead of complaining. We are finally investing in the most important resource 'We the People'" to the opposite side of "219-212...7 vote difference...that's all it took to destroy everything this country stands for. Welcome to socialist hell, America. I pray that one day I will see the REAL USA once again..."

Like I said before... I don't know enough about the legislation to have a specific opinion one way or the other. (and yes... I have the guts to say I don't. I wish some of my "friends" on Facebook would be willing to admit the same thing)

Anyways. back to the point. There have been several things that have hit me through this whole debate of healthcare reform.

1. Today, my parents and I were sitting in our family room listening to part of the debate. It hit me when my mom said "You know, If it were not for my job and the insurance I get through my job, your dad and I would be deemed "uninsureable" because of pre-existing conditions (specifically... cancer.)" That hit me like a mac truck. My parents are both, for the most part, very healthy. Yes, my Mom HAD cancer... she is now cancer free. and Yes. My dad does still have cancer (though his latest scans and tests have all been clear and clean!) But because of those medical issues, they are uninsurable if it were not for my mom's job. Later this evening I was talking to one of my best friends. She is younger than me (and I am 26) and she has cancer. She is also in that "uninsurable" category. ** My mom added this morning if were not for her state healthcare insurance, she and my dad would either be dead or broke. (especially since that chemo drug-- drug alone... no medical visit nothing else JUST the medicine- my dad took for 12months was $20,000 for the first month and just less than $100,000 for the next 11 months he took it. It saved his life.... but if it were not for insurance, I doubt he could have afforded to take it....)

2. The other thing that has really gotten me about this is the hatred, anger and hostility from one side of the aisle to the other. And I will even go so far as to say, it seems that the ones I have noticed it the most from are the Bible-thumping right-wing conservatives. I am fairly conservative most of the time. But this cry for bipartisanship from the ultra-conservatives who preach about their Christian values and claim that the democrats are not meeting in the middle. But its those ultra conservatives who then turn around and bash, name call, and cast judgement. It is utterly inappropriate and brings a horrible face to the Christian faith.

Rick Warren said it well when he said "Jesus loved everyone equally without agreeing with everyone equally. To only LIKE those u agree with is spiritual immaturity." I personally cant agree more.

I also have to think about Matthew 5:43-44 where it says "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

Maybe if our focus really was on "We The People" and not the republicans or democrats, right wing or left, we might just have more success.....

**Few little added side notes.... The majority of the status updates were people supporting change... not necessarily supporting the bill itself, but supporting the idea that our healthcare system must change. It is something we, as the United States of America, have been working towards getting since the days of Richard Nixon (yes REPUBLICAN Richard Nixon tried towards social healthcare reform when he was president). Like I said above...this may not be the perfect bill... but it is the first step towards something that will make a positive difference to a huge part of "We the people".



4 comments:

Lexi Vitali said...

Nice suprise to see my quote in your blog! :-) Proud to fall on the "Bible-thumping, right-wing" aisle in this debate.

Unfortunately I HAVE done a lot of research on what's in the health care bill (although like you, I have the guts to happily admit that I haven't done near enough to claim knowledge on EVERY page of the HCB--as even our representatives in Congress have not read or processed the entire bill). From what extensive research I have done though, I am confident in my decisions and reasons not to support it; however, there is no "hatred" there. Do I think this bill is damaging what this country was founded on? Yes! Do I dislike that it's come to this? Yes! But do I have hatred in my heart? No!

I understand the concerns of pre-existing conditions as I have my own personal long list of health problems already at 22 (though I certainly don't claim to know the frustration and extremities of being uninsurable with cancer, nor would I ever). I'm about to switch insurances in the next couple of months, only I'm terrified at being forced to take the government "option" (which is not so optional when you read the bill) because of all the catch 22s.

On another note, it wasn't the ultra-conservatives who chose to conduct a health care "debate" behind closed doors and shut off conservatives and conservative networds from attending. Let's just face it, this entire process has been anything but bi-part friendly.

Also, the point of my distrust of this bill is BECAUSE I'm trying to focus on "We the People" as you said we should be doing. "We the People" don't like this bill, and Congress, actually Obama, all but said that he didn't care if we liked it or not, he was going to put it through. Well, sorry to say, but we (well some) hired him, as we hired the other representatives. If constituents don't want the bill, then it's their JOB to cut it out because "We the People", the REAL focus of this country, didn't trust it. (I'm getting this from what opinion polls of the American people have been saying this whole time)

I agree that as Christians we should love even our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. Just because I don't agree with the liberal cronies of this administration who have chosen politics over their constituents, doesn't mean that I don't pray for them with a Christian heart. I certainly don't hate them, and while I may not agree with what they do or think, I would never wish harm to come to them. I continue to ask God for His blessings on their lives and to show them the way that best serves HIS will for all of us. Just because we may have concrete ideals and political beliefs, doesn't mean that we're letting those opinions compromise ourselves as Christians.

Anyway, just my opinion in reading the blog since I saw my status quoted! :-) Hope you have a good week!

Unknown said...

Last night was groundbreaking! Healthcare is now a right and not a privilege for many Americans! This is something to be celebrated; no longer will Americans be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions; no longer will Americans be job-locked because of healthcare insurance; America's Seniors will no longer be subject to the doughnuthole. Finally, 32 million Americans who are without healthcare coverage will be covered under this legislation. Oh, and by the way the bill is paid for and reduces the deficit significantly.

Let me take a minute to answer some of the criticisms leveled by my new good friend Lexi.

This not a government takeover of healthcare. There is no public option or as you put it "government option". Individuals will still purchase insurance on the private market. If you cant afford it the government will assist you in getting covered and if you are a small business owner you now will be able to receive tax credits to provide insurance to their employees.

There has been much talk about how closed this process has been. I beg to differ. This bill went through 5 committees, was discussed endlessly in the media and along the way over 200 GOP amendments were added to the legislation in the House. The Senate Finance Committee worked tirelessly to bring Republicans on board to no avail. Republicans limited their own input by choosing the be against something rather than for something. This was their choice.

Everyone claims to know what the American people want. I cant speak for them because I dont know all Americans. What I can say is this; we are a decent people with big hearts and deep down I do believe we all share the sense that we are connected and we rise and fall together. I think we as Americans should all be proud of the fact that 32 million Americans have access to healthcare(life)...one of the unalienable rights spoken of by our founders.

Yesterday made me proud to be an American and you should be too;our democracy worked! If you dont like the results of yesterday's vote speak your mind in November.

Joanna Isbill said...

Great post, friend. I think we get so caught up in politics that Christians forget to LOVE.

Laura said...

Thanks friends for your comments. And Willie, as a legislative aide working on Capitol Hill who spent tireless hours in the office... thanks for your insight because you definitely have more insight into it than most of us!!!

I will be posting a follow up this evening... just not finished writing it just yet!