Friday, August 28, 2009

A few thoughts

A few thoughts on life and faith....

I believe that during the course of every Christian's life, there are times of major growth as well as times where things seem to just level out for a while, and maybe even go a bit in reverse. Last spring semester, I really felt like my walk and my faith was sort of at a plateau-- not going forwards or backwards but just sort of standing still. I was not totally sure why, but I really wanted to get back to that place in my walk where I was growing, learning, and yearning to grow closer and nearer to God. In that desire to grow, I really prayed for it and also started looking for ways to learn more through books and blogs. Over the past 4-6 weeks, I really have read some amazing things by truly amazing writers who have really got me thinking, wondering, and growing. In effort to share what I have found, I thought I would share little pieces that really struck a cord with me and really moved, convicted, or exhilarated me.

Oh... and I know those of you who know me are shocked that I am actually reading something other than what I have to read for school... I know... SHOCKING! :)

From the book Battling Unbelief: Defeating Sin with Superior Pleasure by John Piper (very good read)

"When delays and detours and Frustrations and opposition ruin our plans and bode ill for us, faith in future grace lays hold on the sovereign purpose of God to bring something magnificent to pass. That is the key to patience."

Also from Battling Unbelief: Defeating Sin with Superior Pleasure, a quote from C.S.Lewis

" The pleasure of pride is like the pleasure of scratching. If there is an itch one does want to scratch; but it is much nicer to have neither the itch nor the scratch. As long as we have the itch of self-regard we shall want the pleasure of self-approval; but the happiest moments are those when we forget our precious selves and have neither but have everything else (God, our fellow humans, animals, the garden, and the sky) instead." - C.S. Lewis

From the book Fresh Brewed Life by Nicole Johnson

"We are the beloved of God. We will go through trials, but we can submit to them so that our faith, the most precious thing we have, may be authentic." (this quote in the book is coming from 1 Peter 1:6-7)

" When we give ourselves to God-- mind, body, soul, and spirit- He changes us. We cannot change ourselves. We don't have the spiritual stamina to change ourselves..." - Nicole Johnson

From Perry Noble's blog... (old post from May 1, 2008)

"If you are in Christ then you are the King’s daughter…and you do not need to settle for the boy who can’t accept responsibility…you need to wait for the man who is WILLING to fight for your heart." -Perry Noble

"The king is entralled in your beauty" -Psalm 45:11

No comments: